Monday, April 03, 2006

Death (and those left behind)


Hebrews 9:27

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die,..."

For some reason I have been pondering on this verse for several weeks. I don't think I knew anyone who had died recently in our area. So I can't figure out why, "Why is this verse on the hamster wheel exerciser in my brain?".

But then last Friday, a man I know came to my work place looking for someone to help him make arrangements for his wife, who had just died. He was taking it pretty hard and wasn't in his right mind at all. She was sick for some time, but still it is sad. We will miss his wife: she was a sweet lady!

I will be pall bearer tomorrow along with several co-workers. I don't remember ever doing this before.

Now I wonder, what will become of the husband? They were married a long time.

Psalm 89:48

"What man is he that liveth, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah."

1 Corinthians 15:54, 55, 56

(v54) "...Death is swallowed up in victory." (v55) "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" (57) "But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

1 comment:

ricki said...

Barb and I are planning to die before the other one... hmmm... that's not gonna work out.

Actually, she's been spending a lot of time with God and she's thinking she'd rather "walk off" with Him.