Monday, May 08, 2006

Vain Babblings


I read a commentary on 1 Timothy 1:6 which says:

"Verse 6. From which some having swerved From which some, though they have pretended to aim at the τελος, scope, or mark, have missed that mark. This is the import of the original word αστοχησαντες.


Turned aside unto vain jangling The original term, ματαιολογιαν, signifies empty or vain talking; discourses that turn to no profit; a great many words and little sense; and that sense not worth the pains of hearing. Such, indeed, is all preaching where Jesus Christ is not held forth.
" (emphasis added)

This reminded me, as a blogger and as a part of the body of Christ, that I have a responsibility to make sure that words I speak or write, or discussions I participate in should edify my brother and sister in Christ and encourage them in their walk of faith, not divide and create strife among the body. Biblical truth must be at the center of everything we conclude. The writers in the Bible gave several warnings telling it's hearers to not get involved in doctrine that is a even just a slight twist from the truth and to avoid vain babblings.

God help us all.

K-Fish


<><

No comments: