Thursday, May 04, 2006

Zephaniah and Rebellion


I was reading in Zephaniah last night and found something that I have been pondering since. God's prophet was talking about Jerusalem. In the Amplified version the passage reads:

"She did not listen to and heed the voice [of God]; she accepted no correction or instruction; she trusted not in the Lord [nor leaned on or was confident in Him, but was confident in her own wealth]; she drew not near to her God [but to the god of Baal or Molech]." Zephaniah 3:2

The previous verse says "Woe to her that is rebellious...". This clued me in that the prophet was detailing what activities man engaged in that God viewed as rebellion. I thought to myself, "Well this deserves a second look, because it may shed light into an area in my life that God may be not pleased with." So let us look at the verse again from the first person perspective.

  • I did not listen to and heed the voice of God.
  • I did not accept correction or instruction.
  • I did not trust in the Lord, I was confident in my own means.
  • I did not lean on in Him, I relied on my own strength and ability.
  • I was not confident in Him, I was filled with unbelief and took matters into my own hands.
  • I did not choose activities that would draw me closer to God, but instead pursued the things and sin of the world.
Uh oh. I am guilty on all counts. Thank God for the blood of Jesus and it's cleansing power!

Now let us look at the verse differently (this is how I have it highlighted in my bible).
  • I listen to and heed the voice of God.
  • I accept correction or instruction.
  • I trust in the Lord, I put no confidence in my own means.
  • I lean on in Him, He is my Strong Tower and Refuge.
  • I am confident in Him, I believe in Him doubting nothing.
  • I choose activities that draw me closer to God, daily I submit to God.
This is my prayer, and I pray it be reality in how I live my life, In Jesus' name, So let it be (amen).

No comments: