Thursday, February 16, 2006

NASCAR, ST. LOUIS CARDINALS, BLUES HOCKEY


Nascar
Even though I don't have time to follow sports or motor sports, once every few 'decades' I am somewhat aware of them. The NASCAR season is underway with it's first race on Sunday, the Daytona 500. The cars in the race are fitted with restrictor plates on the carburetors so they won't go too fast. Too fast? Hmmm... I guess cars that can reach 220+ mph at this track have a likelihood of flying into the grandstands. Kind of makes you want to watch now, yeah? So, I read that they will race, in a pack, inches from each other, for nearly four hours. And America will watch because they practice bump drafting on this track to get the edge on other drivers. Spin outs and wrecks. Definitely worth watching? Maybe I will have time to see some of it!

Elliot Sadler (car 38), who placed 13th in the Nextel Cup Series in 2005, won the Gatorade Duel 1 today, while Jeff Gordon (car 24) who placed 11th in 2005, won Duel 2 today.


Baseball
The Major League Baseball season is nearly here. The St. Louis Cardinal's first home game will be Monday, April 10. I thought, hey, it would be nice to go to the first Saturday game on the 15th, in the new stadium. So I looked for tickets. Nosebleed and bleacher seats started at $35.00, yikes! Today I looked and they have been reduced to $30. The seats I thought were desireable are more around the $100 range. Sorry Cardinals, I know it has been several years since I have been to a game (I am savoring the Ozzy days!), but I think I will spend my $70 to $200 doing something else fun. I just can't bring myself to spend even $30 on a bleacher seat. I don't remember baseball tickets being so high. Ever since the baseball strike, I have had a hard time picking baseball back up as a fan. I never went to see Blues hockey either because I thought the ticket prices seemed a little steep. See! In my first sentence I implied I wasn't huge sports fan! Now the cat is out of the bag. The tv will never replace seeing it live, but I can deal with just watching it on tv once in awhile. :-)

Actually, my wife has seen to it that I get to go see some of the sporting events. We have been to a minor league hockey game, to PBR bull riding (way cool), and to car racing, and we used to go to Busch stadium to watch the Cardinals every so often. There may be other events we went to, but I am not recalling them right now.

2 comments:

ricki said...

Ok, that stuff is kinda cool but Isaiah and I are catching Eric "slowhand" Clapton on 3 June...Beer? about $10 each. Ticket's? just under $100 each. Coolness? Priceless...

K-Fish said...

Eric who????? :-) ha ha, just kidding! That sounds like it would be a decent concert. Seems like he had a lot of songs I liked.

We have been to several Christian artist concerts and festivals in the past several years and have really enjoyed them.